Quaker Steak & Lube® History
It was 1974 when our country had its first gas crisis. The price of gasoline was skyrocketing, gas stations were closing nationwide, and carmakers began exploring how to develop cars that got better mileage.
But for George “Jig” Warren III and Gary “Moe” Meszaros, it wasn’t about better mileage or for that matter even obeying the new 55 M.P.H speed limit. It was about finding a home to preserve the culture of those old gas stations and high-powered muscle cars.
So was born Quaker Steak & Lube®, a “Cook Your Own Steak” restaurant that gave old muscle cars a permanent home, which included a 1936 Chevrolet, frozen in time on the original hydraulic grease rack.
It is from these beginnings that the Quaker Steak & Lube® family of restaurants began. Today, “The Lube®” serves over 30 million wings annually, has bottled sauces for retail sale, has won the title of “Best Wings USA,” and has hundreds of local, national, and international awards for their sauce recipes. Over 50 locations throughout the United States, “The Lube®” is still rescuing muscle cars, vintage cars, trucks and a vast selection of custom and antique motorcycles, giving them good homes hanging from the walls and ceilings in each restaurant.